My daughter is almost a month past being one year old. She says Momma & Daddy, though shows no sign of knowing what these sounds mean. My husband committed to teaching her to wave "bye-bye", which has worked, sort of. Everybody around her has to do the hand motion for a solid minute before she even reacts. Most of the time, she does the gesture with the hand that is behind the back of the person holding her. Sly, right? It's kinda like, "I know how to do this, but I'll be damned if I'm going to prove it to you." Sigh.
So we've been working on the sign language, and just like a boy & potty training, she shows utterly no interest. I know she's bright enough to learn it, based on the other skills she has, like the ability to outsmart her parents on a daily basis; but for some reason, this communication thing is not her priority. She is waaay too busy finding new electrical cords to identify the cat with a hand gesture.
Hey, maybe we have it all wrong. Maybe the sign for cat is actually balling up one's fist to mimic the ripping out of large chunks of hair. She certainly does that a lot when she's near the cats: "Silly adults. Maybe if I do it over and over again, they'll finally catch on."
After all, it's all about consistent repetition.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment